Diagnosed Neonatal severe jaundice secondary to Cephalo-hematoma in presence of early Kernicterus. 5 days post birth, his total serum bilirubin level was 38. This premature baby had birth weight of 2.25 Kg, hydrocephaly with head circumference of 33 cms. The child spent 17 days in NICU and on discharge doctors warned parents that he will never walk, talk, and will remain in sleeping position throughout his lifetime. He might not be able to hear and there are good chances of him becoming mentally handicap as a result of kernicterus. Nachiket’s recovery with Vasa Therapy began at an early age of 17 months.
Nachiket Patwardhan before Vasa Concept
My child had abnormally huge head as compared to the body. Doctors mentioned this is from hydrocephaly and advised shunting. His head kept falling behind because of the large size as well as poor head neck control. Therapists were doing passive movements for his head neck control and were making him stand up with splints and support though he had very weak muscles. Now, we can say in retrospect that this made his body muscles tight because it was impossible for my child to stand and he was forced to stand when as yet he did not sit nor had head neck control.
Following is an account of observation made by Nachiket’s parents over the years while being treated with VASA CONCEPT
Before - After Video
Videos - After Vasa Concept (playlist)
We started the treatment with Dr. Rajul Vasa in March 2005. Following are the changes year-wise which we saw in our child. It would have been impossible to achieve these milestones without Dr. Vasa.
- After starting with Vasa Therapy, in the first month itself the spasticity in his body reduced considerably.
- He started focusing at the objects. He could even see distant objects.
- After 3 months, he could turn over from his left side.
- The fists of his hands opened.
- He could now transfer his toys from one hand to another.
- He could now sit in cross leg position (Buddha posture) with his hands straight.
- He started attempting to move his hand forward and backwards while doing exercises.
- He could move his fingers on his own.
- He was able to sit in the bean bag with his head straight, but he could not sit on the floor. He took total of 10 days to be able to sit for 1 min continuously (starting from 1 second). But he would fall in any direction the moment we removed his head support.
- In the month of March, he could sit for 15 minutes without falling. But he couldn’t remain stable in cross leg position and he started moving backwards. He could unfold himself from the cross-leg posture.
- He used to sit with his trunk totally bent and the spine appeared to be C-shaped. We started giving him toys when he was sitting in cross-leg posture.
- His legs were very crooked and weak; we could see that slowly they were becoming straight.
- He could now sleep in prone position. He could keep his head straight.
- He would now go into prone position, would come into horse posture and would try to move forward.
- In the month of October, twice he got up from supine position and sat on his own.
- In November, he could do sitting from supine position on regular basis.
- We started teaching him English as well as Marathi alphabets.
- He could now identify colors and shapes.
- In December, he could jump like a frog and move forward, though he could move just 3-4 steps that too was a great achievement.
In December, he could jump like a frog and move forward, though he could move just 3-4 steps that too was a great achievement.
- He could now go from one corner to another of a room jumping like a frog.
- He could lift his toy overhead and was also able to throw it.
- He would sit comfortably making a “W” shape of his legs.
- Earlier while sitting he would sometimes fall backwards; now it stopped totally.
- We could feel that his hands are becoming stronger. His palms appeared to be bulky unlike before when there was no muscle mass.
- We would blindfold him and he would feel the objects with his hands and would try to smell objects.
- He would take support and would try to come in kneeling position from sitting. But the legs remained as though in cross-legged position.
- We could see that his head circumference had reduced. He was having hydrocephaly since birth.
- Earlier while in sitting, his head, neck and shoulders would be highly unstable; that was reduced to some extent. Also the neck was very short and thin, it could not be seen.
We could feel that his hands are becoming stronger. His palms appeared to be bulky unlike before when there was no muscle mass.
- Now when we make him sit on our lap, he is able to keep his feet flat on the floor, before he would be just kicking his legs in air.
- His chest region started developing. His collarbone became visible.
- He would lift his head up on his own while doing exercises.
- He learned to get down from chair. He could control his head and neck better than before.
- On December 31, he stood up on his own holding the bars of the window. He would move his legs very strangely to do this.
On December 31, he stood up on his own holding the bars of the window. He would move his legs very strangely to do this.
- In January and February collectively he stood up 8-10 times on his own. We would make him sit as soon as he would stand straight. He still did not have good trunk control.
- In May-June, he stopped standing.
- He could sit more erect.
- The grip of his right hand got much better.
- There was good coordination between the head and the remaining body while doing any movement. While rolling over, he could move the head and rest of the body at a time.
- We gave him lot of musical instruments to play in order to develop hand and eye coordination.
- In September, he got diarrhea for quite long duration along with vomiting.
- The length of his neck became visible. He could now turn around and see things.
- He was able to hold his head neck about 70%.
- He could more efficiently bear weight on his hands and shoulders while doing exercises.
The length of his neck became visible. He could now turn around and see things.
- He could move his legs alternately. His wisdom also increased along with his age.
- He can’t speak but he tries to convey himself through his gestures.
- He tries to take bath himself.
- Now we need not look after him all the time, he manages himself.
- His tendency of keeping the legs in “W” reduced.
- There was good coordination between his chest , back, hips, legs while doing any movement.
- The circumference of his chest and waist increased by 2 inches.
There was good coordination between his chest , back, hips, legs while doing any movement.
- He tries to come into camel position on his own taking weight on his own hands and legs.
- He can maintain himself in horse posture for few seconds.
- He tries to balance himself on the ball by moving his waist.
- Sometimes he stands by himself holding the trampoline.
- He can wear his pants on his when lying in supine position.
- He now makes gestures to tell us that he has passed urine or stools, but it is only after he has done it; not before doing it.
- He used to keep his toes flexed; now he is keeping them normally.
- When he tries to use both his hands to do some activity, his head tends to go backwards.
- He tried to walk 4-5 steps holding the border of trampoline.
- We bought computer for Nachiket to play games. He is able to push the buttons; he doesn’t know to use the mouse yet.
- He is using his right hand more often now.
- He can now do most of his activities of daily living, viz putting on the pants, he can wear his t-shirt once we have put his head into it, he applies soap to abdomen and chest while bathing, tries to wipe off his body with towel, once or twice a day he feeds himself with his own hands
- He can play on the swing.
- He is maintaining his head and neck in erect position.
He can now do most of his activities of daily living, viz putting on the pants, he can wear his t-shirt once we have put his head into it, he applies soap to abdomen and chest while bathing, tries to wipe off his body with towel, once or twice a day he feeds himself with his own hands
- He is trying to get up holding the sofa. He is trying to stand more and more. Also his legs are flat on the floor when he is standing; the right leg is not flat enough though.
- While playing on computer, we see that his hand movements have become more swift.
- His skin has become more pinkish which was very pale before.
- Head circumference reduced.
- Once he spoke “Aai ga”. We were so happy.
- He can now change the channels of the TV and also play CD in the VCD player.
- On 28th May, he sat alone in the four-wheeler and went on a drive.
- Once he stood up holding the side of the bed and also took 4-5 steps along the bed side.
- He has become very clever. Now he knows all the shops and roads of Ratnagiri.
- He studies daily for one hour. He also identifies few English as well as Marathi words.
- He can match the colors.
- He knows about all the things in his house.
He has become very clever. Now he knows all the shops and roads of Ratnagiri.
- He is riding the bicycle on the slope and moving forward for say about 3-4 foot.
- We started diet in September. He was kept just on fruits and vegetables. After being put on diet, his skin texture improved a lot. Skin became soft and supple. He is trying to speak some meaningful words. He has put on 1.5 kg weight after he was put on diet.
- His muscle bulk of whole body has improved a lot. His body frame appears to be more broad.
- He got down from his computer chair, which is of more height. He hung his legs down, moved his pelvis down and simply stood up on his feet.
- He has become more quiet and calm. He doesn’t get excited anymore while expressing himself.
- His intelligence has improved. Memory has improved. He can recollect all the incidences that have happened in the past.
- He sits more straight than before.
- He got down from the sofa and holding my hands took 3-4 steps in forward direction.
His intelligence has improved. Memory has improved. He can recollect all the incidences that have happened in the past.
- Now he doesn’t sleep in the afternoons as per his habit.
- He rode his tricycle for about 8-10 foot on his own.
- His body has improved a lot overall. He doesn’t look weak any more. His hip muscles and the pectoral muscles have developed.
- He can now dip biscuit into tea and eat on his own.
- He also now drinks water from glass on his own.
- He is now moving throughout the house and making mess of the house pulling out things from everywhere.
- He is very fond of vehicles and he has basket full of vehicles to play at home and if one of his toys is missing, he immediately comes to know and searches for it.
- He can now lift weight of up to 1.5 kg with his hands.
- He can count 1-6 nos.
- Head circumference has still reduced.
He is now moving throughout the house and making mess of the house pulling out things from everywhere.
- While walking on the slope, he is putting his weight backwards.
- His calf muscles have developed.
- His neck has become much broader.
- He can now turn around when standing.
- He now tells us to keep the house clean.
- He knows which household item we can get in which shop and he knows about all the vehicles near his house as well as names of different mobile companies.
- On 27th June he stood up by himself just for 1.5 second without any support at all.
He knows which household item we can get in which shop and he knows about all the vehicles near his house as well as names of different mobile companies.
His calf muscles have developed.
His neck has become much broader.
- He has now started going to the play group at a place nearby our house. He has also started making different sounds and is trying to babble new words.
- At times he speaks some new words.
- His milk teeth have fallen and permanent teeth are replacing them.
- He is walking much better on the slope now.
- The unstability of his head neck has almost diminished.
- His tendency to move his hands and legs in air while sitting has reduced to a greater extent.
- He is taking his body weight on his legs while walking on the slope now.
- He is becoming intelligent and cunning day by day.
The unstability of his head neck has almost diminished.
- IN the squat posture, he is still not taking the weight on his foot.
- While walking on the slope, he now requires very less support than before.
- His thigh muscles are improving, look more bulky.
- He has become very mischievous and playful and mixes well with the children at his play group. He changes his clothes by himself. If there are any new visitors at his playgroup he enquires about them.
- He identifies the characters in TV serials.
- He can control all his remote cars well with his remote. Now he knows well how to move the buttons of the remote.
- 21 Oct 2012; on this day Nachiket walked few steps by himself at the center.
- Madam has asked us to hang balloons and Nachiket has to hold it and stand taking the support of it. After one month we used tyre tube instead of balloon.
- When he is standing, his feet are not relaxed, his toes are curled up.
- After 12 November 2012, When walking on the floor we could see some difference. Earlier when we made him stand, he used to throw back, now this tendency has reduced.
- He can walk on the slope without any support for 5-6 steps; while doing this he keeps his feet wide and hands outstretched.
- On December 2012, he began to work out more on the trampoline. We see that his foot muscles are developing and his ankle is becoming broad.
- He gets from namaaz to kneeling posture by himself on the ball.
- He had black marks under his eyes; these have vanished now. His skin texture and color both have improved.
- He had black marks on his feet too; that also has reduced.
- His ankle shape has also changed. The tightness at the ankle tendon looks reduced now.
- The length of his legs below the knees has increased.
- Even now he doesn’t touch his whole feet on the ground while walking on the slope, but he keeps his heels well in contact with the ground.
- His shoulders appear broader now.
- Madam has told him to take an overhead support so that he doesn’t put his body weight on anybody and holds on and stands by himself. We give him a tyre to hold, which he sometimes leaves for fraction of seconds and stands by himself. He even takes few steps forward in this position.
- He is enjoying his school and playful life with his friends.
- There were two dark patches on left leg, black in color; this has gone completely. Skin color and texture is improved.
- Nachiket plays a lot now. He doesn’t like to sit in a place, keeps moving around the house. His mother is left out of energy running after him.
- He is able to now socialize well, his responses are quick.
- In the month of April, he crawled and climbed steps and moved a distance of 50 feet. It was a very happy moment to watch for all our family members.
Nachiket Patwardhan History
Nachiket was born on October 17, 2003 at Ratnagiri, Maharashtra. He is a premature baby by 36 days. His weight was 2.25 kg at birth. It was a normal delivery. He cried at the moment he was born. He suffered from jaundice on third day of his birth and it got to his brain. He had an head circumference of 33 cms and had hydrocephaly. On fifth day, his bilirubin level became 25 and it rose to 38 by the time he was shifted to another hospital at Dervan (Near Chiplun). There he was treated with phototherapy and his bilirubin lowered down to 18 on fourth day. For three days doctors did not speak anything. On fourth day doctors informed that he was out of danger. He was in NICU for total 17 days. While discharging from hospital doctor clearly informed us that since his jaundice had reached his brain (kernicterus), he wouldn’t be able to talk or walk in his whole lifetime. He will be always bedridden. There are also good chances that he might not be able to see, listen and may remain mentally retarded.
We were heartbroken and depressed at this statement of the doctors. The whole environment of the house became sad. For first four months he used to sleep only on right side. He could not move beyond that or lie straight. We only used to know that he is awake by seeing that his eyes are open. He was not doing even a single movement. He used to only feel the touch of his mother. He used to take complete one hour for milk feeding. For first one year we just roamed from one doctor to another doctor. We consulted all types of neurologist, psychotherapist, psychiatrist, Ayurvedicphysician etc. For first seven months he was treated with Gardinal medicine but he had never actually got epilepsy attack any time, so one of the neurologists asked us to stop the medicine. We had started with physiotherapy at Ratnagiri itself, but it had all passive exercises and not much improvement could be seen.
Nachiket had very low immunity and would come up with some or other illness almost daily. Due to this we could hardly maintain any relations with our neighbors or even relatives. He would catch cold even if anyone in the family had cold. We completely lost our interest in outings, going to hotel, shopping, going to family functions etc. everybody used to enquire about our child and we used to feel bad and we literally started avoiding even family functions. We used to feel bad seeing at other growing children of same age and feel why our child cannot walk. If he would have been healthy, he would have also played with other children. Initially we used to avoid travelling along with him by bus or train. People’s sight, questions used to hurt us a lot. People also used to give us suggestions. We used to somehow manage to answer them but after reaching home, we used to become very depressed. No choice for food was left; whatever was available we used to eat. No interest was left in shopping new clothes or crockery. Everybody was frustrated. Everybody started working mechanically. Nobody used to sleep properly at nights due to which in daytime we used to feel sleepy. We did not even realize lunch time as we never used to feel like eating. This started affecting everybody’s health. The situation was at its worst. It was like we were just passing by every coming day; we were not living the day!!! From birth itself he used to vomit within half an hour after having milk frequently; at least 12-15 times a day. He was also having constipation and many a times did not pass stools even after two days, and if he passed stools at all it would be too hard that he used to bleed. After giving him the medicine to stop vomiting, he used to suffer from dysentery. He used to get fever at least twice in a week reaching almost 102 to 103 degrees. He also used to get episodes of cough right from age of 2-3 months. Minor change in environment and his cough used to get worst resulting in bronchitis. It was so bad that the doctors told us to change our house as it was located in an area surrounded by trees and the climate was very cool there. So we shifted to another house. The room was almost kept closed to minimize the effect of air. He also used to catch infection very easily. He used to get infected by cold and fever immediately if any of the family members suffered from cold and fever. Due to this reason, any family member suffering from cold and fever would go to another house to avoid spreading infection to him. Nachiket used to roll round and round when he was of seven months. He did strange leg movements and the head used to remain at same place without any movement. His head was so large that we never bought him a cap of his age, what a child wears; we used to buy him a cap of his father’s size as this would fit him perfectly. Because of hydrocephaly he could not move his head as it had lot of weight. Due to this reason, he used to have hair loss from back side of his head as there was friction constantly between that side of head and the ground surface. When he was of 10 months he started to roll over from left side. He usually got hurt on his head during this process as he was not able to lift and balance his head neck. Initially we were feeling happy with the thought that he can see, listen and can understand what we are saying. He started recognizing parts of body such as nose, stomach, ear, eyes etc. When he was of one year, he also started recognizing father, mother, grand-mother, grand-father and aunty. He was habituated to his grandma to make him sleep and aunty to sing a song.
One fine day we got the reference of Vasa madam from our uncle. We decided to send the reports to Vasa madam after six months after having told by our uncle as we were afraid to take him out anywhere as he would get an infection because of cold air, and used to suffer from cold, cough, and fever. Due to this reason, we used to keep him at home mostly. We hardly took him out so how could we take him so long to Mumbai we thought. Finally we sent all reports of Nachiket to madam in March 2005. Madam went through the reports and asked us to come to Mumbai on Sunday itself. It was very difficult for us to imagine that somebody can improve our son’s condition as there was lot of damage to his brain and doctors had nearly declared then only that he would remain on bed for his lifetime.
As we started with Dr. Vasa in 2005, we could see lot of changes in Nachiket. It was surprising that she never asked us for any investigations.It was difficult for us to bring him from Ratnagiri to Mumbai very frequently as after doing so much of travelling, he would fall ill for almost next 10 days. But we used to send his exercise CD to madam and madam would suggest us corrections required or next exercise. Nachiket has really progressed a lot since starting with Dr. Vasa. Firstly, his head circumference has reduced without surgical shunting and now he is close to normal. He now passes his stools daily. He understands what everyone is speaking, he reacts spontaneously. He tells me when he is hungry, when he wants to go to toilet, wants to sleep, wants to go for shopping, etc. He eats on his own. He drinks water on his own. He also buys us clothes of his choice; of course we pay for it but it is his choice that we wear. He knows all fruits and vegetables by their names and he also knows all colors. He knows even the names of different mobile companies. He knows all roads of Ratnagiri. He is very fond of vehicles and takes his father on roads to watch different vehicles passing by. He has basket full of toys which are all vehicles. He plays games on computer alone. Now we are sending him in a play group and he enjoys playing and socializing with other kids. In 2012, he has begun to take few steps and walk on his own. I am confident, that soon he will walk the roads of Ratnagiri on his feet. Since Nachiket was a complicated medical case, it has taken him so long to be able to walk normally. But it was a lot of hard work that we did as instructed by madam. Most importantly, no wrong therapy was done on our child and so we can see that he did not get further spastic as he did with scissor legs when was 18 months old before we saw Dr Vasa. While undergoing passive supportive therapy we saw many children turn spastic thank god we could come out of scissor gait, thank god we listened to Dr vasa without any doubts. Dr. Vasa has not only corrected the brain problem of our child and given him a new life but she has also brought all our family members back to life. She has also given us the strength to do hardwork, way to positive thinking and confidence to help others as well…!!!!