Diagnosed as benign congenital hypotonia; delayed development with sensory issues with occulomotor apraxia. When born was shifted to NICU as hehad turned blue, and was hypoglycemic, sugar had dropped to level 39. He also had pyloric spasm along with minimal bowing of the tibia. He had poor eye contact and was unable to stand and walk without support at the age of 2 ¼ when he started with Vasa Therapy.
Chaitanya Mehta before Vasa Concept
Before starting therapy at age 2 ¼ years, Chaitanya’s neck always remained tilted to left side. He could not remain steady at a place. Though he was standing, he used to fall frequently while standing as well as when he tried to take steps. Significantly, every time when he fell, he used to fall with head down posture. He had no speech at all. His GI system got affected when he was given medications for convulsions. He was not able to eat or drink much and always had to be fed forcefully. He was afraid of any stranger touching him. He was also very lethargic. We had to give him a single command 8-9 times and only then he followed it.
Following is an account of observation made by Chaitanya’s parents over the years while being treated with VASA CONCEPT
Before - After Video
Videos - After Vasa Concept (playlist)
- He takes few steps and has a better walking balance than before. His standing balance has improved to a greater extent.
- His head which was slightly tilted towards left looks to be good sometimes.
- He got fever and cold. We induced vomiting by giving him lukewarm salt water for 3 days. The vomitus was having very sticky mucous and it was yellowish in color. Doe this indicate that there were so much of toxins in his body?
- His neck control is quite better. Before the treatment, he used to tilt his neck towards left for watching TV or when he felt sleepy or when he was not well. Unlike before he has quite better control now.
- He tries to speak certain words. He also tries to express himself with actions especially when he is hungry.
- He is active throughout the day and is in a joyful and playful mood. He passes stools almost 4-6 times a day.
- Still he doesn’t follow the ball constantly while playing catch-catch or even if doing any other activity, he doesn’t look at the object (no hand-eye coordination). He has developed good balance while walking at home but he is just not ready to walk outside the house. At times, he just slips suddenly at home.
- Earlier he would hardly walk few steps and would fall down, but now he is taking steps more confidently. Even if he gets stuck somewhere while walking, after almost 5-7 minutes he starts walking again. He seems to be totally lost somewhere.
Earlier he would hardly walk few steps and would fall down, but now he is taking steps more confidently. Even if he gets stuck somewhere while walking, after almost 5-7 minutes he starts walking again.
- Chaitanya has become very active and his vocalization has increased a lot. He tries to speak many words as compared to before and he also expresses himself much better.
- After starting with castor oil, his stools are foul smelling and sticky. Urination is frequent. His neck seems better at times but then it again becomes slanting while doing certain activities such as drinking water, while standing up with the support of his hands, etc.
- He has become more active, vocal and his understanding has also improved.
- He has started going to play school since Wednesday and since the teachers saw him after long time, they found lot of difference in terms of his communication and even understanding. They found him to be tall and thin.
- His walking has improved. He is able to walk for long time as compared to before. He loves to walk in familiar places like terrace, building ground, marine drive, malls, etc., but he is just not ready to walk on the road.
- Though he wears nappy pads while going out but at home most of the time he tells us that he wants to go for urination. He is not yet ready to sit on potty seat.
- He had his open day in his play school and his teachers feel that he has become socially more confident. He tries to move around in the class and mingle with other children. Though they feel that he hits or pinches other kids at times to grab their attention.
- He repeats mostly all the words that we speak but yet he doesn’t form sentences on his own.
- We are taking him to garden where he is doing climbing and sliding with our help but the support is very less as compared to before. He enjoys swings a lot in the garden.
We are taking him to garden where he is doing climbing and sliding with our help but the support is very less as compared to before. He enjoys swings a lot in the garden.
- Chaitanya has started to walk very fast, infact he can run for short distances.
- His walking posture has improved a lot.
- His socialization has improved a lot. He talks to everybody; even to strangers.
- He now understands everything we talk and whatever commands we give to him.
- For Sankranti we had taken him for kite flying. He really enjoyed that. He was able to follow the kite and also he was able to see and hold thread very nicely.
- Clarity of speech has improved. He is even able to speak longer sentences compared to before.
- He has started to pedal the bicycle though he does it slowly.
- His fine motor skills have improved as compared to before. Ex: He can do reading now, play with wooden puzzles.
- He is able to answer a lot of questions.
- Chaitanya’s balance while walking as well as speed has improved. He can run for short distances (almost 10-12 steps) and he also keeps his head up (looks in front and runs). He doesn’t look down while he is walking. He can also walk reverse / backwards i.e. without eyeshelping to guide the road, for few steps and is not afraid to see car coming.
- He has become more fare skinned and his skin texture has improved. It has become more smooth and supple.
- We find lot of improvement in his posture, walking style and the way he climbs stairs has also improved. His neck still remains little tilted to left side.
- He is speaking quite clearly and also speaks some sentences spontaneously himself. He is able to sing certain small rhymes such as twinkle twinkle.
- His speed of walking and balancing is also improved as compared to before. Unlike before, on his own he can easily climb till 2nd floor though he holds the wall. He can climb on bed, sofa, very easily as compared to before.
- His drooling has reduced quite a lot as compared to before.
- We had been to Srinathji and since we returned we see that he is walking more confidently and even the speed of walking has increased. He keeps his head quite straight. While going in the train, he was quite scared and not ready to walk from one bogie to another. But while coming he was able to cross 3-4 bogies in the moving train without anybody’s support. He balanced himself really well. He has started to speak small sentences. After walking for short distance his leg becomes more outward.
Chaitanya’s balance while walking as well as speed has improved. He can run for short distances (almost 10-12 steps) and he also keeps his head up (looks in front and runs). He doesn’t look down while he is walking. He can also walk reverse / backwards i.e. without eyeshelping to guide the road, for few steps and is not afraid to see car coming.
- His speed of walking and posture while walking has improved.
- There is lot of clarity in his speech and speaks longer sentences.
- He is now able to paddle the bicycle for a while.
- His fine motor skills have improved now and he solves puzzles on his own.
- He is able to have conversation with other family members.
- The way he climbs stairs has improved a lot. Previously, he used to tilt his pelvis and climb of get down the stairs.
- His socialization has improved. He can now talk and answer to even the strangers.
- He now understands all verbal commands and whatever we talk.
- he is able to run short distances, though his legs turn outwards while doing so.
- He is able to climb down one or two steps without any support on his own holding the wall.
- His speech has improved, but certain letters such has L and R are very unclear. He is unable to pronounce them.
- He talks almost everything about the present, but he still is not able to relate things with the past, for example where he had gone, what he did in the school today.
- His neck still remains tightened on the left side; especially when he bends down to lift anything, even while solving puzzle or coloring on floor, his neck remains tightened on the left.
- Chaitanya is doing cycling very well.
- He is able to go downstairs without any support now.
- He likes to walk alone on footpath for short distances.
- He is doing all exercises well. He is not able to do jumping on trampoline.
- Hands walking, he is doing quite better than before.
- Chaitanya has become more active.
- There is a lot of improvement in his right leg, walking speed has improved.
- He loves to play in open space and in garden.
- He has become more confident while speaking.
- Chaitanya’s physique has developed overall.
- He tries to mingle up and socialize with strangers, especially elders. He is not yet able to socialize with children of his age.
- He is able to walk for longer distances now.
- We took him to garden almost after 3 months and we found lot of improvement in him. Example, he was quite stable while climbing the ladder to the slide and was doing it again and again.
- In monkey on rod exercise, he is able to come up on his own holding the rod when he is in good mood.
- There is lot of improvement in his neck. When we make him sit in chair to solve puzzles, he keeps his neck quite straight than before.
- Chaitanya is doing all exercises quite well as compared to before
- If he is in good mood, he can now complete all his exercises almost in half an hour.
- On trampoline, with hands above the head, now he is able to jump few times on his own; otherwise he just used to stand on his toes.
- Jumping with one leg in front and other back; he is not able to do so on the trampoline.
- Balancing has improved a lot as compared to before.
- He is able to eat food with spoon and hand quite well as compared to before. Even drinking water and soup from glass has improved a lot.
- Chaitanya’s balancing has improved a lot.
- He is able to run for few more minutes and with more speed as compared to before.
- He is even able to do short jumps on his own without any support. We were very happy to see him doing this as we had been trying to do this since very long.
- When we took him to climbing steps of slide, his speed of climbing has improved. He now climbs himself with very little support sometimes required.
- Speech is improving, but he is constantly asking same questions.
- We make him do writing, coloring, standing and sleeping lines, in which he is doing quite better than before, but he is not able to write alphabets as such.
- Chaitanya’s speech is improving day by day, but narration of incidences and clarity of speech is still little bad.
- Chaitanya’s speed of walking and balancing has improved. Only when he gets excited, he tends to lose balance.
- He loves to take his bicycle on the roads and cycles long distances quite confidently now.
- He is able to climb stairs much better than before.
- Our lift was not working for few days, but Chaitanya always managed to climb by himself till the third floor where we stay.
Chaitanya Mehta History
Chaitanya is a full term baby. My labor was prolonged and stressful & the baby was not pushing so it was a forcep baby. During the 9 months of pregnancy there were no chief complaints. I had no mental or physical stress.At the time of birth baby’s cry was low and the baby got pale and dull at the time of birth.His weight at birth was 6.25 pounds. He was not able to suck milk after birth andwe tried to feed with spoon but he refused it. He used to vomitquite often (Brownish Color). Baby was quiet & not really active.
After around 28 hours the nurse noticed the baby was getting convulsions & checked the sugar level which was too low and he went into hypoglycemia (Sugar 37) and multiple convulsions. He was admitted to NICU for 15 days.He was treated with antibiotics after which he did not get any convulsions. His movement was nil for first few days after which it slowly revived.Initially he was given expressed breast milk and afterwards was given top feedings.
TEETIHING – 7 MONTHS
SITTING – 1 YR 2 MOUNTS WITHOUT SUPPORT
HEAD HOLDING – 8-9 MONTHS (But still keeps towards leftside)
ROLLING – 7-8 MONTHS
CRAWLING – 1 YR / 8 MONTHS
STANDING & WALKING WITH SUPPORT – 2 YRS
At the time of birth, when he was admitted to NICU due to convulsion we had some clue that he might face some brain related problem in the future and the doctors also had suggested to do MRI. But then at that very moment we just wanted him to be discharged & taken home.
When he was 3-4 months old, he was not at all holding his head so we consulted our pediatrician and at that time she suggested physiotherapy for him. We started physio at Jaslok when he was around 5-6 months old where they explained us that because of convulsion he might achieve all his milestones late.
The doctor said we don’t know about his future or his growth; he might remain slow for the rest of his life as his brain might be damaged which is difficult to be revived.
I was too tensed after hearing that, but then the only thing that came to my mind was that though he will do it late but atleast he should do everything. He should be independent by the time he becomes 4-5 yrs old and should start understanding things. Since all the members of the family loveChaitanya very much since he is the first child after his dad’s birth, initially the expectations were high from him as all other children, but gradually they accepted that he will be slow but he will do everything.
Chaitanya underwent various therapies viz physiotherapy at Jaslok for about 4-5 months, then we stopped after 3 months & then we started at Dr. Medini’s centre for about 6 months, sensory integration for 1.5 – 2 months & speech therapy for 1 month, accupressure for 4.5 months.
He was given antibiotics in NICU but after discharge it was discontinued. He was also given Calcimax for few months.No medicines were given after that except for homeopathic & BRENTO ayurvedic syrup .
By looking at him, nobody would come to know that there is anything wrong with him, and those who knew that he has delayed milestones sympathized by saying “that’s ok, he is a smart child, will copeup sooner or later”. He started standing on his own in August 2010 but used to fall down within few seconds when he began with. By September 2010 he walked 2-3 steps and used to fall down. While falling down he had a particular pattern, he kept his head down while falling. He also was afraid of any stranger touching him. Though he was not able to do puzzles, or rings or sorting or beading, I feel that was because of his weak eye-hand co-ordination. He is a smart child but very lazy one. He used to get tired soon and because of this he would not be ready to do any activity. While sitting, he did throw himself back. He was given medications for his convulsions which had a toxic effect on his GI tract. which resulted in him not willing to eat or drink even water. He also needed to be told one task about 8-9 times only then he would do it, or sometimes he might not even follow the task despite telling him 8-9 times. He was unable to follow the given commands at one go. He had very little speech and said mamma, papa, dada etc. He used to fall quite often. After frequent intervals he preferred to liedown as though he was very tired. Especially while reading books. He walks without support at home but not outside on the roads. He is less sensitive to pain. Even if he falls very hard he will not cry much though he has got huge hurt. At times he even bangs his head on the floor or on the wall. His eyes were not straight initially, but now they are quite better. His concentration is very low. He had very weak eye-hand co-ordination. He did not look and do thing e.g.: While throwing the ball, he would not look at the ball. He never demands for food and water.
He does things which have been taught to him, but does not learn new things on his own; expresses himself to a smallerextent.Loves books, animals & enjoys with all family members. But he does not like strangers touching him or carrying him.He is still confused between yes & no.He keeps his mouth open & drools at times.He sleeps a lot-around 12-14 hrs/day.
This was Chaitanya before joining Dr. Rajul Vasa. Now, he is confident little gentleman who can talk sentences, who can walk alone at his home, on the roads, go upstairs alone, go downstairs. He is no more afraid of any strangers. His digestion has improved, concentration has improved. Now he can follow two commands at a time. His tendency to throw his back backwards has vanished totally. Looking at him gives us the confidence that our child is noway less than a normal child.